Use these breathing exercises to help reduce and manage COPD symptoms.
As the temperature rises, the allure of enjoying the summer scents draws us outdoors. However, for individuals dealing with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the simple act of breathing becomes a formidable challenge during warmer months. The elevated temperatures and increased humidity can exacerbate COPD symptoms, including chest tightness, shortness of breath, wheezing, and excess mucus in the lungs. Left unaddressed, these symptoms can worsen over time. Fortunately, incorporating straightforward breathing exercises can offer relief to individuals coping with COPD.
There are several steps you can take today to help improve life for someone with COPD.
Effective Breathing Exercises for COPD:
- Sit or stand with your elbows slightly back and chest fully expanded.
- Inhale deeply through your nose.
- Hold the breath for a count of five.
- Exhale slowly through your nose until fully exhaled.
Pursed Lip Breathing:
- Close your mouth and inhale through your nose for a count of two.
- Purse your lips as if whistling.
- Exhale slowly through pursed lips for a count of four.
- Inhale through your nose before starting exercise or during high-anxiety moments.
- Purse your lips and exhale through your mouth during the most strenuous part of your exercise.
- Sit or lie down, relax your shoulders.
- Inhale through your nose for a count of two, allowing your stomach to expand more than your chest.
- Exhale slowly through pursed lips, gently pressing on your stomach.
- In a comfortable seated position, inhale deeply through your mouth.
- Using your stomach muscles, exhale in three even breaths, making a “ha, ha, ha” sound to clear mucus from your lungs.
Enhancing the ability to breathe not only contributes to improved health for those with COPD but also provides comfort and alleviates anxiety. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, individuals practicing these breathing exercises experience greater improvements in lung capacity and overall quality of life.
For personalized assistance with breathing exercises and COPD management, turn to the expertise of Home Matters Caregiving Houston. Our senior care professionals offer a range of services, from general personal care to specialized COPD and chronic disease management.
Home Matters Caregiving proudly serves the Houston Metro area providing care for seniors wherever they call home.