Types Of Senior Fitness Programs
Senior fitness programs are designed to specifically cater to individuals over the age of 50. They are generally low impact and designed to gradually increase intensity to better appeal to the aging body.
Types of senior fitness include, but are not limited to:
- Water Aerobics : Low impact aerobics take place in a pool to minimize muscle and joint strain while still building muscle, cutting weight, and increasing flexibility.
- Chair Yoga : While yoga is already considered a low impact exercise, chair yoga is designed to mimic the postures and benefits of yoga from a sitting position to alleviate pressure on the joints.
- Spinning : Spin classes are available all over the country, but senior spin classes focus on a steady pace with minimum impact to maintain senior fitness and health.
- Tai Chi & Qi Gong : These martial arts forms are designed to increase flexibility and strength without torturing the joints and muscles.
- Walking : Never underestimate what a nice walk with a good instructor can do for your overall wellness and quality of life.
These classes are available for seniors at local senior centers, YMCAs, and senior fitness and health centers all over the area.
The Benefits Of Good Senior Fitness
- There are many benefits to fitness no matter what your age. However, the benefits of senior fitness specifically include:
- A healthy lifestyle can make you feel (and look) younger.
- Regular exercise helps to maintain a healthy equilibrium, decreasing the risks of falling.
- Exercise helps reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s, diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
- A regular exercise schedule helps to increase the immune system.
- General senior fitness helps to increase mobility, flexibility, and posture.
- Exercise helps to improve and regulate your sleep.
- Exercise is good for both your mental and emotional state.
- Seniors who live an active lifestyle have been shown to be healthier, happier, and enjoy an overall better quality of life.
Gain More Freedom For Fitness With In-Home Nursing Care
Even for seniors who require a little extra help from in-home nursing, an active lifestyle is still within reach. With Home Matters, most beloved in-home senior care staff, you can still be free to go out and enjoy the social and physical benefits of joining a great senior fitness program.
Home Matters’s schedule is tailored around each client to provide the maximum level of care while maintaining each individual’s freedom to carry on their daily activities. Contact Home Matters today to learn more.